Interceptor

An independent study, carried out by Ocean Cleanup initiative, has estimated that about 80% of the plastic that ends up in the worlds’ oceans comes from 1000 critical rivers, spread out alongside the coasts of the planet. The other 20% are spread out between the fishing, cargo and passenger sea industries, and it is up to those business, Lastavica/Swallow cruising included, to curb that pollution. We have started our Swallow Green initiative, for those exact reasons, and are imploring our colleagues to join us in doing the same. The pollution coming from the rivers is another issue.

The Interceptor is a new invention of the Ocean Cleanup company, constructed to stop the plastic debris from reaching the oceans in the first place. It is meant to be placed in strategic points of the river estuaries and deltas, where it can use the stream of the river to gather plastic and other garbage, pick it up, process it and store it in large bags or containers, for it to be taken away and recycled. As it uses the current of the river itself, and having the rest of the machinery and technology be solar powered, this machine has a 0% negative impact on the environment, CO² emissions included. Also, because it is placed in strategic locations where the entirety of the thrash passes through, it does not impede the traffic going through the river, so it will not impact the economies and business of the cities and countries that introduce this machine.

It can be scaled to clean rivers of all sizes, and because it is independent and connected to the internet, it is able to operate 24/7, cleaning the river perpetually. It sends a notification when it is nearing full capacity, so that the containers can be emptied, and can still function until the maintenance crews come, so the process never stops. The 50m3 capacity means that emptying the Interceptor fills entire garbage trucks at once, making the process extremely efficient. Two Interceptors have already been deployed in Jakarta, Indonesia and Klang, Malaysia, with 2 others deploying soon in Vietnam and the Dominican Republic. Thailand and LA County in the USA have also signed up to have Interceptor of their own introduced soon.

The plan is to tackle the 1000 critical river in 5 years’ time, which sure is a monumental feat, but if achieved, the amount of plastic garbage entering the oceans will be lessened immensely, which will also impact he effort of cleaning the oceans themselves, as there will be less garbage replacing the plastic that is being removed from the sea.

To check out the highlights of the Interceptor introduction event, check out the following link:

If you wish to deeply understand the Interceptor and this effort, watch the entire event via the link below: